Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sequins, Prez Candidates, Vibrations!

Silver Sequins --

My childhood having been, for the most part, on the stage -- resulted in many, many show biz people, props, and situations leaving vivid images in my mind's eye and ear. I remember the awe of the "orchestra pit", even empty, but especially when it was full of musicians. Most of the productions I performed in were at night and the footlights on the edge of the stage served well to blind me to the presence of the audience, as I wasn't tall enough to see beyond the lights. When the audience would erupt into applause, it seemed to loom up out of nowhere.

All the men in the business, I recall, wore suits and ties, whether they were managers, directors, or talent agents. Most of what I did were vocal and/or piano performances, though I also did some dance and some acting. It's funny how the one thing that stands out as my fondest and most longed-for theatrical link, is sequins. Especially, I loved the dancers' sequined costumes -- to me, they were thrilling and breathtaking! To this day, I really can't resist sequined items: purses, handbags, jackets, headbands, particualrly if silver-sequined. There is just something about them that has the power to transport me to a glamorous, exciting place. I may take a "group" picture of some of my sequined treasures and post it -- just to add some pizzaz to my blog -- and for your enjoyment, in case you share this particular passion!

Most of the costuming I saw was on the people I met backstage, when I'd be huddled with the rest of the crew, waiting for our cues and those electrifying words -- "you're on"!

During one such occasion, when I was an impressionable teen, I struck up a conversation with a stripper who had jet black hair pulled up into a ponytail ... and lots of deep green eye shadow on her eyelids. Among other things that she advised me about during those fleeting backstage moments, was that I must never (and she emphasized this) put perfume directly on my clothes. Actually, her exact words were "Never pour perfume on your clothes!" Well, this was useful information because I knew nothing about perfume application -- and I can still hear her voice, with its New York City accent, every time I apply my favorite (vanilla) scent onto my skin. During her act, when the light would hit her in a certain way, I noticed that she must be wearing those early-style contact lenses, as every so often, the light would bounce off them for a split second. And, oh yes, she had sequins -- lots of them!

So I really have two (fashion) selves: the one that loves and usually can be found in a friendly flannel shirt (over whatever else) and the one that admires the look and feel of sequins and silky stuff!

Presidential Candidates...

The presidential primaries are in full swing and it’s exciting and awesome to realize the U.S. actually/finally has a woman candidate and a black candidate in the running. Although Clinton and Obama differ in their approach, background, and personalities, I consider either/both of them to be very worthy of my vote. It was sad to see Edwards lose so much ground in the nomination process, as he had promoted a lot of needed concepts since early on in his presidential efforts. I believe, though, in Clinton’s intelligent, very conversant, savvy and well-informed approach and in Obama’s energetic, inspiring, and enthusiastic plans to restore our economy, rescue the struggling middle-class, bring home our troops, and establish an efficient, uniform system of health-care for all citizens – including those of us who currently have none.

I am afraid of the consequences a McCain victory would bring, if he were to be elected – I consider him a war machine (with little knowledge about economic matters, or anything other than career war).

I hope Americans will vote prayerfully – and when I say that, I mean spiritually, universally, not according to dogma. Look at where Bush’s dogma and insistence that he was God’s chosen one have gotten us ... unending war, a horribly battered economy, and even more horribly battered environmental and humanitarian policies and practices, a severely widening chasm between rich and poor, and a blight on our reputation in the world.

We need a president who can solidly approach the restoration of our country and who will make ethics, humane policies, addressing climate change, and preservation of the environment (and of the other species who share the world with us – the animals, our fellow travelers) – major priorities to be addressed. The fate of the world is literally at stake.


Good Vibrations & Excitations!

Sometimes people inquire about the music and color vibrational studies I’ve done (and around which I created my music therapy program). The core principle is that every sound and sight is made up of vibrations. Here are some introductory paragraphs (copyrighted in 2005) from my booklet "Music And Color – The Principle Of One and Both".


"... Every sound, whether the human ear can hear it or not, is made up of vibrations – vibrations produced by the ocean, weather, earth, plants, every creature, and every activity (think of carpenters working on a building; children playing in the schoolyard the howls, barks, mews, roars, growls, hisses, chirps produced by animals)."

"As a life-long songwriter and performing artist, I’ve experienced profound emotional, physical, and spiritual benefit in creating and presenting music. Also, I’ve had the opportunity to see truly remarkable benefits of music on listeners; for example, when I present music programs to residents of assisted-living facilities, frequently people put aside their walkers and get out of their wheelchairs, to dance. They leave the performance with obvious new energy, emotional zest, and a sense of connecting. Music can be exhilarating, electrifying, thrilling, sensuous, uplifting, soothing, or calming. There are times and needs for each of these."

"As a visual artist and nature-lover, my interest in color values also began at a young age. Colors have a full range of influences on us. The advertising industry and many businesses know this and utilize the colors that promote particular products and services."

"As a scientist, I’ve spent hundreds of hours studying the correlation of music, color, the body’s seven energy centers, and the relation of all of this to us, our health and well-being, our earthly environment and, beyond that, to the universe. Again – those inescapable and marvelous mathematics and vibrations!"


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are some great posts you have put on here! The election will be VERY interesting to keep up with. Oh, and I love sparkly stuff too. Of course, you knew that already. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd add a couple of comments about your words on the Presidential Candidates! :-)

I've always been an "independent" voter. Party-voting never made any sense to me; it should always (ideally) be the best candidates, regardless of their labels.

And yet that being said, I've almost never been happy with our political majorities or choices, and have almost always voted "3rd party" just as a meager protest vote.

Until... then came Bush. It's the first time I ever voted for "the person running who had the best chance of beating someone (Bush)".

So much harm has been done to our country (and the world). I can only hope that in turn, perhaps enough awareness has been raised that it will ultimately lead to significant beneficial changes.

As you say - it's exciting to for the first time have not only a woman presidential candidate, but a black candidate as well!

One concern I have is that people will not vote for one or the other for any of a variety of reasons... leaving the democrats in a divided mess, and another Bush wannabe in power. Of course, even Republicans haven't been especially enamored with Bush... so there's hope.

I do happen to personally like Obama's "energetic, inspiring, and enthusiastic plans to restore our economy, rescue the struggling middle-class, bring home our troops, and establish an efficient, uniform system of health-care for all citizens – including those of us who currently have none"... as you said. He's definitely got some charisma, mature enthusiasm, and he knows how to inspire a feeling of HOPE in a lot of people. Not sure that he (or anyone, really) can deliver on all that... but it would be difficult to do much worse than we have been.

It's heartening to see and hear good people on the Republican side too.

You also said: "I hope Americans will vote prayerfully – and when I say that, I mean spiritually, universally, not according to dogma. Look at where Bush’s dogma and insistence that he was God’s chosen one have gotten us ... unending war, a horribly battered economy, and even more horribly battered environmental and humanitarian policies and practices, a severely widening chasm between rich and poor, and a blight on our reputation in the world."

WELL SAID. :-D



"The fate of the world is literally at stake.".

AMEN. :-)

Thanks for your wise words.

-dave
northwestern CT

birdy said...

As far as the upcoming elections are concerned, I actually made it a point to go to City Hall the day before the primaries! Afer being an independent voter since 18, I changed my party. In a small way, I am adding my voice to countless others that we need a change--a very big change.

In regards to God and Bush, anyone can use God to get the advantage. This is not a good reflection on people who sincerely believe in higher, positive influences.