Saturday, April 5, 2008

Is She Calling You?

Is she? Yes, she is! This is the title of my just-done CD, which is named for its opening track. The song's genre is Latin-Jazz. Audiences liken it to a Santana sound, even when I’m playing it solo on split keyboard (with bass). The lyrics refer to the Lady Wolf (me) and the wolf’s expressive vocal intonations and range. I love this song. Of my dozens of original songs (all of which have various elements of my feelings and experiences in them), this is the only time I found myself writing a song about myself, although the listener probably doesn’t realize that until near the end of the song.

Also on the CD are two 12-bar blues tunes: I Remember The Day and Clara’s Slow, Steamy Blues (it is); a light classical ballad called Spring Is In The Air, another classical song called Shadow & Light, a new age instrumental named Call To The Day; kicky jazz Ba da ba da ba da; my peace/protest/activist song (eclectic blues) called One Woman’s Blues, and the completed arrangement of a very special song, a ballad, called I Could Really Fall For You, which I’ve described in my promo article with the following words: "In 2001, a singer-songwriter-guitarist-recreational drummer, who was destined to become my drummer and close friend, gave me the lyrics and minor key music progression for this song, along with his request that I complete and sing it. When I’d spent a bit of time with it, I realized it needed a bridge renovation (different chords) and asked him if it would be OK for me to do that, so the song would work for me. He agreed to consider it – but then I didn’t bring it up again and time marched on. We went on to develop a solid music commitment together and a deep, meaningful friendship. He died in September 2006, after a valiant battle with cancer. A year later, I rummaged through my boxes of music sheets in my basement and found the crinkled, yellowed lead sheet he’d given me ... I knew it was time for me to complete the song and sing it! Here it is with my intro, bridge, and major key 9-bar ending ... and Philip’s beautiful and haunting lyrics and minor key theme. Here is my tribute to the vast talents and beautiful heart of the late Philip Knight."

If you’d like a copy of this CD, or any of my others, please let me know via e-mail at claralandau@comcast.net.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your entire blog, and the wide spectrum of life you cover... and all the moreso because you speak up and express a true opinion on issues of social conscious. Keep it up!
-dave