Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just Thinking ...

At this time of the year, regardless of one’s religious or spiritual persuasion, it’s a tough time for people who have experienced or are going through the throes of loss – whether loss of a loved one through death or other separation, loss of a job, or in these troubled economic times – loss of their home or their retirement funds. It’s also a hard time to be dealing with illness. I’ve heard from two very dear people recently that they’ve been sick with shingles, that grown-up off-shoot of chickenpox. Another friend just lost his job. Job loss means not only lost income, but also a lost part of one’s identity; I remember that well, when I had that experience five years ago. Changing horses, career paths, and philosophies can follow on the heels of a lost job; happily, my friend has plans for training in a new and wonderful career! However we approach the festivities of the holiday season, there will be, for most of us, that thread of seriousness as we look back, look forward, and touch base with our values. Our values – maybe that’s what it’s really all about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true for me and I'm sure for many others as well.

lovable liberal said...

Christmas has always been hard on me, due mainly to flaws in my own character - procrastination, perfectionism.... But this year, I'm missing someone I loved who is now gone, and my granny (by marriage) is missing her son, also dead. I know you're missing people, too, Clara. These absences are hard, yet we try this time of year to recapture the unmitigated joys of youth.

2008 for me is always going to be a year of good times and bad. That's the price of being an adult. It's not a price I pay happily or sadly. It just is.

Coping is for poetry or religion or friends or mountaintops or some combination.